Film production companies
Media professionals of major film production companies, as well as medium and small filmmakers, are often faced with the question of how to efficiently manage an archive while monetizing usable content.
At Framepool RS, we help identify high quality content and assist in making it available to the corresponding, appreciative channels.
Our service for your film, photo or audio archive: our experts identify, evaluate and group content according to its degree of
importance, technical age or condition, thus preventing threatening data loss.
We answer your questions:
- Which media assets should preferably be digitized?
- Which resolution (HD, 2K, 4K or higher?) makes most sense when scanning film?
- What's best for my archive: a scan solution on site or scanning by national/international partner labs
- Which storage solution is the most appropriate and secure in cost-benefit terms?
- What are the advantages of a Media-Gateway-Solution?
If you are considering monetizing your content, we can assess potential exploitation depending on delivery format, recording quality, content as well as trend aspects.
- own vs. third-party use of footage?
- how much revenue can be achieved through licensing in a global market?
- which archive related services provide added value in the exploitation of entire cinematographic works?
- strategies to develop (new) program formats from existing stock footage
Film production companies, naturally, are more experienced when it comes to digitalisation. Outsourcing digitalisation as a service, becomes an option, when
outdated viewing equipment for tapes is hard to acquire and maintain.
On the one hand, there is a high risk that poorly serviced video players can damage tapes. Digitalisation in-house, on the other hand, requires purchasing special interface hard- and software.
Filmmakers need to concentrate on their actual daily business: the production of fictional, non-fiction programs, films and programs. Effectively, there is a lack of time and resources when it comes to the digital preservation of film material.
It's worth mentioning, that film material from the 80s to 2000s has been increasingly gaining in importance on the footage market. ( Curation | Content Licensing )
Due to rights management conditions, non-European filmmakers and studios tend to be more likely to digitise their (analog) content in terms of re-use.
European, especially German film production companies mostly produce fictional and documentary content for broadcasters, rarely allowing further use. The same goes for commercial and industrial film production companies.
The content of commercials or image films is generally too product and/or customer-specific, to merit further use and thus digitalisation. Still, with most film productions there is a suitable excerpt that deserves attention. ( Content Licensing )
Potential digitalisation entails further questions:
- which content is worthy of preservation?
- who should decide on the feasibility of re-use?
- who will manage claims from possible third party copyrights? ( Curation | Metadata Management )
- what will digitalisation cost us?
- what is the cost-benefit ration of digitalisation? ( Curation | Content Licensing )
- where can I digitalise content / how can I send my tapes or film rolls to a scanning lab?
- when is it worthwhile to scan analog material?
- will a scanning device suffice, regarding technology and handling of archive material, etc.?
- which resolution is optimal?
- how and where will the digitised content be stored?
- will I have fast and easy access to view and download the resulting digital assets?
Once all options have been expertly assessed, your film material is ready for digitalisation.
- Mobile or stationary scanning service
- Scan-Solution on site:
- no acquisition or maintenance costs
- pay per use (i.e. billing per frame)
- next to zero logistics costs and transport risk
- complete control over handling, processes and quality
- self-determined timing
- installation of the workstation by technically qualified personnel
- training of operating personnel
- minimized costs through scanner sharing
- transcoding of original formats (Nitro, 35mm, 16mm...) into standards-compliant formats, codecs, resolutions (HD, 2K, 4K...) etc.
- frame rate conversion
- basic colour correction, degraining, denoising, retouch, image stabilization
- aspect ratio adjustment (4:3 -> 16:9)
How does the WETGATE technology work?
- transcoding into standards-compliant formats, codecs
- all tape formats (HDCAM, DVCPRO HD, DVCPRO, DigiBeta, BetaSP, DVCAM, D1, U-Matic, VHS, Betacam)
- final digital product: ProRes or user-specific
Metadata management is the key to solid content tagging, researching content and protecting intellectual property.
- deposition of technically relevant information li>
- descriptive-associative keywords based on a defined vocabulary in 7 languages
- content description as coninuos text
- assign content to any number of categories
- content-dependent, differentiated indexing processes (automated / manual)
- summarizing assets of similar content in structured folders (BINS)
- linked keywords deepen or extend the search
- clear indications of legal requirements and usage restrictions
- inclusion of company-owned watermark / logo
The keywording process results in interactive keywords that can be displayed as button – each keyword branching to other, content related clips or assets.
A separate input field "Stock Video Description" offers the possibility to describe the subject content in the form of a continuous text.
Assigning content to contract-, product- and archive-specific categories, allows for asset descriptions to be displayed in a structured manner.
A fully developed storage solution balances administrative overhead versus access speed. 1st degree content, for example, should be available faster
(higher costs), while less valuable content can remain available offline or "nearline".
Working with your existing DAM system, or utilizing our cloud based storage solutions, we can come up with the optimal solution to best fit your needs.
- encoding / transcoding of different file formats
- production-oriented selection of in- and out-takes
- preview files in real time
- download master files on-demand via FTP
- air-conditioned long-term archive on LTO tapes
- regular data backups
- gradual adaptation to technical progress
- 100% client control over proprietary content
You are the rights holder of relevant, high-quality or rare historical content?
And you are considering licensing your film and photo material to a profitable worldwide market?
Then let's talk about expertly managed re-use of your material via our online licensing platform www.framepool.com
Together, we'll asses revenue potential, uses for both commercial (advertising, corporate communications, feature films) as well as editorial (TV documentaries, reports, magazines ....) purposes.
What defines "high-quality", what is considered rare? Our experts will evaluate your content. And you can explore the special features and advantages of our online portal – both for you as a supplier and future licensor, as well as for our customers.
More than 1,200 licensors trust us to manage their creative assets. We'd be happy to count you among them.
Our offer – Best consultation
We welcome the opportunity to discuss your current environment, your portfolio of assets, and jointly develop a migration to monetisation strategy that is customized to fit your corporate objectives and maximize the return on your investment.
Following the initial consultation will be an in-depth assessment, which will help you, like us, to define a solution that fits your business and content. At the end of the process, depending on the selected module, you will receive access to your own digital archive with autonomous data maintenance / indexing. External services or the possibility of third-party content exploitation can be added on demand.
Our experts will accompany you throughout the entire project – from introduction to training and test operation. And of course we are always ready to assist you with any questions you have, once your archive is up and running.